Sunday, August 24, 2014

August 12: Everything's Going to be OK

August 12, 2014:

I pulled the mite tray again today, after 24 hours, and found quite a few mites--but not enough to warrant intervention.

There are some frustrating things about this method.  It's hard to know how to count, for one thing: it was clear to me that some of the dots I counted were exoskeletons, rather than whole mites.  Do they count?  Surely they're a sign of a whole mite, living somewhere in the colony, but do they count for THIS count?  So confusing.

At any rate, I counted two or three different ways, and had my son Sam count as well, and we got a range of anywhere from 23 to 32 mites dropped in this 24-hour period.  Most of the sources I've read say that you needn't intervene until you see 50-60.

Phew.

Here's what a tray looks like, and what I'm having to count:


No comments:

Post a Comment